FNX-INNOV supports the University of Toronto in its large-scale off-campus solar energy projects

As part of its plan for a climate positive campus, the University of Toronto will be transforming much of its energy and public infrastructure. FNX-INNOV’s expertise in renewable technologies and integrated solar energy solutions will be leveraged in this important project’s portfolio.

Established in 1827, the University of Toronto is Canada’s largest university. With over 90,000 full and part-time students, it is one of the largest universities in North America. It is internationally recognized and consistently ranked among the top 25 universities in the world. The feasibility study that will be entrusted to FNX-INNOV on the production of renewable energy targets 4 off campus locations belonging to the university:

      • KSR Farm
      • Hart House Farm
      • UTIAS Campus
      • Gull Lake Campus

GHG emissions reduced by at least 80% by 2050

The university plans to transform its energy and public infrastructure to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions on campus by at least 80 percent by 2050. It will use renewable energy and other strategies to not only offset the remaining 20% of its emissions, but also to further reduce other carbon emissions in Ontario. It will therefore create a net environmental benefit for its community.

With the help of FNX-INNOV’s professional services, the university needs to determine which carbon offset system would meet its carbon positive target. Capital costs, operation and maintenance costs, grid emissions factor, carbon tax, grid electricity rates, and virtual net metering opportunities must all be considered when evaluating the most cost-effective and promising carbon offset system.

FNX-INNOV’s full range of expertise for the mandate

As the mandate includes several objectives, our teams will be called upon to use their expertise in solar energy and renewable technologies, while ensuring that the environment and the communities involved are respected.

The main objectives are

  • Conduct a complete analysis of the solar site.
  • Conduct site visits and meetings with various stakeholders, including indigenous representatives.
  • Analyze the electrical, environmental and structural technologies.
  • Analyze economic and financing feasibility.
  • Make a presentation to the university and other stakeholders.
FNX-INNOV is proud to act in the fight against climate change and to contribute with this project to the reduction of GHG in public institutions in Canada.